In Connecticut, you can choose your electricity provider. Join the more than 500,000 Connecticut residents who have already switched providers. Shop around for the best rate, contract length, and green energy mix. See if you can find savings by entering your ZIP code above.
We have provided you with some of our competitive rates in your area, which we have determined to be 06484.
|Supplier||Plan||Energy Term Length||Rate|
|6 Month Home Power Plan||6 month fixed||8.49¢|
|Live Brighter 12||12 month fixed||9.89¢|
|Live Brighter 18||18 month fixed||9.49¢|
|12 Month Fixed||12 month fixed||9.39¢|
|36 Month Home Power Plan||36 month fixed||9.99¢|
We have 13 more plans available in 06484.Shop Rates
History of energy deregulation in Connecticut
The Connecticut Department of Public Utility Control passed PA 98-28 In May 1992 to deregulate the state’s electricity market and boost the economy. By creating a competitive market, the act allows residents to choose an electricity supplier and the rate he or she wants to pay for a home or business’s electricity.
The deregulated system also has a lower price cap, which ensures that consumers’ rates won’t skyrocket because of steadily increasing gas prices. The new deregulated system puts Connecticut electricity consumers first, so everyone can have power at the perfect rate.
Ready to look for a rate that suits you? Enter your ZIP code above.
Who can buy deregulated energy in Connecticut?
- Deregulated electricity: Residencies and businesses.
- Deregulated natural gas: Residencies and businesses.
To expand on that, both homes and businesses in Connecticut can choose a plan from deregulated electricity providers. Commercial and industrial businesses in Connecticut also have the option to purchase deregulated natural gas.
To find plans for your commercial company or small business in Connecticut, click here. Since business plans have special standards and requirements that must be met, we will give you a call to go over any plan details and set up your service.
What are the different plans and products offered?
- Fixed rate plans: Most Connecticut suppliers offer fixed rate contracts for term lengths from 6 months to 2 years. Fixed rate plans ensure predictability, in that the consumer is paying a constant rate for the entire term length of the plan’s contract.
- Variable-rate plans: Variable-rate plans allow the consumer’s monthly rate to change from month to month. However, these plans do offer more flexibility because they do not require a long-term contract or subject the consumer to early cancellation fees.
- Prepaid plans: The consumer pays in advance for electricity and is alerted throughout the month about usage and account balance. Some Connecticut suppliers do not require a credit check or deposit for prepaid plans.
- Green/Renewable energy plans: Many Connecticut suppliers offer plans that use up to 100% of energy from green or renewable sources. Most of these plans include fixed rates, so the consumer’s supplier bill will be consistent from month to month.
- Home services: Some of Connecticut’s electricity supply companies do more than just supply energy. Direct Energy, Constellation, and others offer additional products and services such as smart thermostats, HVAC installation, roof repairs and more.
- Renewable Energy Credits (RECs): Homeowners or business owners have the option of purchasing RECs through some energy suppliers that can further offset their home or business carbon emissions and encourage local renewable energy sources.
Now that you know the lingo, you're ready to shop for a better energy plan. Enter your ZIP code above to see what's available.
I’ve picked a plan! Now what?
If you choose to switch suppliers, you can easily cycle into your new electricity plan without any power interruptions. Your new plan will then take effect at the end of your current billing cycle (between 15 to 45 days). When your plan term is nearing its end date, Choose Energy will send you a reminder 30-60 days beforehand, giving you the opportunity to choose a new plan or continue with your supplier at a default rate.
By changing my supplier, I cut my rate in half! I will definitely be telling my friends about this.
Susan, West Hartford, CT
Excited to have lower electric bills.
Carmen, East Lyme, CT
Connecticut electricity suppliers
How Connecticut Consumers Can the Default Increases on Their Energy Bills Unfortunately, rate increases are a fact of life. They happen whether we want them to or not—sometimes unavoidably, and…