In Maine, you can choose your electric supplier. Join the more than 800,000 Mainers who have already switched suppliers. Switch now and get the same reliable service while picking a plan with better rates, greener energy, or both. Need a good reason to switch? Mainers saved up to 32% on their electricity bills last year by switching suppliers. Enter your ZIP code above to get great rates in your area.
We have provided you with some of our competitive rates in your area, which we have determined to be 04240.
|Supplier||Plan||Energy Term Length||Price per kWh|
|12 Month Fixed||12 month fixed||8.69¢|
|SureLock 12||12 month fixed||8.72¢|
|SimpleClean 12||12 month fixed||8.72¢|
|RescueLock 12 - CMP||12 month fixed||8.99¢|
Why should I buy a deregulated energy plan?
The goal of Maine’s deregulated electric market is to give customers reliable electricity at an affordable price. To do so, the electric suppliers in Maine offer competitive rates and incentives to appeal to customers with a range of needs, such as renewable energy plans and fixed contracts. Through Choose Energy’s marketplace, Maine customers can research different types of plans and compare local options.
If your home or business is in a deregulated electricity area, but you don’t want to choose a competitive energy supplier, your local utility will still provide your electricity at a default rate. Keep in mind, the default rate often is higher than competitive supplier rates!
Enter your ZIP code above to get started.
Who can buy deregulated electricity in Maine?
Before Maine deregulated its electricity market, a few utilities across the state held a monopoly over supply and distribution of electricity. Because there was no competition among utilities, the companies faced no pressure to offer the best prices to customers. That began to change in 2001, when the state’s utility commission opened its electric market to deregulated energy suppliers.
Now, more than 60 percent of Maine’s population lives in deregulated areas, giving homeowners and business owners (small or commercial) the option of purchasing a deregulated electric plan. For those living in deregulated cities, switching to a Choose Energy electricity partner could save you money on your monthly energy rate. To find out if you live in a deregulated electricity area, type in your ZIP code above.
If you own a small or commercial business in Maine, Choose Energy can help you find a plan that fits your company’s needs.
How do I switch to a deregulated electricity plan?
Choose Energy’s online marketplace makes finding and comparing energy plans simple. Once you’ve selected your ideal plan, your new supplier will communicate directly with your local utility to set up service without any interruptions to your power. Then, all you have to do is watch as your monthly energy rate savings pile up!
One warning: Energy usage also plays a role in your energy bill. If you use more energy, even a lower rate might not translate into lower bills.
What types of plans and products are offered?
- Fixed-rate plan: Fixed-rate energy plans are popular among customers because they offer more stability and consistency from month to month. A fixed-rate plan charges the same rate every month of its contract, no matter how the default energy rate fluctuates.
- Variable-rate plan: Variable-rate plans mean that a customer’s monthly rate could fluctuate every month, depending on the rise and fall of market prices. However, these plans often do away with cancellation fees and other costs that long-term fixed-rate plans can include.
- Green/Renewable energy plan: Green energy plans include a percentage of energy sourced from renewable resources, such as hydro or wind power. With a range of plans from 5% green energy to 100% green energy, customers have the power to choose a plan tailored to their needs.
- Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs): Customers who want to further reduce their carbon footprint can purchase renewable energy certificates. The purchase of RECs through a customer’s electric supplier also encourages development of renewable energy sources.
- Home Services: Some electric suppliers go beyond energy service to include other benefits. Many offer home services ranging from smart thermostats to window treatments, all with the goal to increase customers’ energy savings.
Energy Deregulation in Maine: An Overview Maine electricity deregulation provides more than 60% of the population the ability to compare electrical rates and choose plans from several electric suppliers. By presenting many plans …