Nearly 2 million New Yorkers have switched to an energy service company, or ESCO, to find lower rates for their electricity and natural gas service. It's called energy deregulation, but what it really means is energy choice. Enjoy the same reliable service - but now on your terms. See if you can find savings and/or green energy; just enter your ZIP code above to see plans in your area.
We have provided you with some of our competitive rates in your area, which we have determined to be 11235.
|Supplier||Plan||Energy Term Length||Rate|
|12 Month Electricity Plan - NYC||12 month fixed||7.99¢|
|36 Month Electricity Plan - NYC||36 month fixed||7.89¢|
|12 Month Green Electricity Plan - NYC||12 month fixed||8.39¢|
|6 Month Fixed||6 month fixed||7.79¢|
|12 Month Fixed||12 month fixed||8.39¢|
We have 5 more plans available in 11235.Shop Rates
What does energy choice mean for me?
It means you have the opportunity to save on the rates you pay for electricity and natural gas. In many other states, energy customers must pay the rates set by their utility (usually in conjunction with the state's public utilities commission. If you live in a deregulated area of New York, you can buy from your utility - or not, if you find a better deal.
For example, in the 11235 area code of Brooklyn, the utility is Consolidated Edison, which on Feb. 20 was providing electricity for 8.80 cents per kilowatt hour (kWh). One ChooseEnergy.com preferred supplier offered an electricity plan for 7.79 cents/kWh - a savings of 13 percent, with nearly a third of that energy coming from renewable sources. Two other plans also beat ConEd's price.
Ready to try your hand at it? Enter your ZIP code above to see plans in your area.
Is switching to an ESCO difficult?
No. It could hardly be easier. Simply find a provider with a plan you like, sign up, and your new ESCO will take care of the rest. The switch should be seamless. There's no need for additional meters or wires; you don't even have to be home when the switch is made.
In New York state, both homes and businesses can choose to purchase energy plans from electricity and natural gas suppliers. The largest service areas are:
Albany | Buffalo | Mount Vernon | New Rochelle | New York City | Rochester | Syracuse | Yonkers
To find plans for your commercial company or small business in New York, click here. Since commercial plans have special standards and requirements that must be met, we will give you a call to go over any plan details and set up your service.
What types of plans are products are offered in New York?
- Fixed rate plans: Many New York energy suppliers offer fixed rate plans for term lengths ranging from 6 months to 2 years. Fixed rate plans ensure that the consumer is paying the same rate every month for the entire term length of the plan’s contract, no matter how the default rate fluctuates.
- Variable-rate plans: Variable-rate plans give the consumer more flexibility in that there is no long-term contract or cancellation fee. However, the consumer’s monthly rate is subject to change from month to month.
- Prepaid plans: The consumer pays in advance for a certain amount of electricity and natural gas, and stays alerted throughout the month regarding usage and account balance. Some New York suppliers do not require a credit check or deposit for these prepaid plans, which makes them more accessible to customers.
- Green/Renewable energy plans: Most New York energy suppliers offer plans that use up to 100% of green or renewable energy. Many of these energy plans have fixed rates, so the consumer’s supplier bill will be consistent monthly regardless of changes in the default rate.
- Home services: Several New York’s energy supply companies do more than just supply electricity or natural gas. Constellation and other energy suppliers offer additional products and services such as smart thermostats, HVAC installation, roof repairs and more.
- Renewable Energy Credits (RECs): Choose Energy customers have the option of purchasing RECs through some of New York’s energy suppliers. The purchase of RECs can further offset a customer’s home (or business) carbon footprint and encourage the use of local renewable energy sources.
Now that you know who plans are structured, you should be ready to compare and switch. Enter your ZIP above to see your choices.
I’ve picked a plan! Now what?
After you’ve chosen a new plan through Choose Energy’s marketplace, the plan will cycle into effect with no interruptions to your power. Billing cycles usually last between 15 to 45 days, so you can expect your new plan to begin at the end of your current billing cycle.
After your new plan starts, you’re good to go! Choose Energy will also send you a reminder once your plan is nearing its end so you can pick a new one or continue at the default rate.
(Last updated Feb. 20, 2018.)
I had no idea I could compare energy prices and get a better rate. I was being overcharged by 50% and didn't know there were alternatives!
Mary, New York, NY
I just saved 25% by switching to ConEdison!!! The best part is that my savings are fixed for the next 12 months...wow! this really is too good to be true. Thank you ConEdison!
Brian H. Pittsford, NY