In New York, you can choose your electricity and natural gas suppliers. Join the nearly 2 million New Yorkers who have switched to an energy service company (ESCO). Enjoy the same reliable service - but now on your terms. Need a good reason to switch suppliers? New Yorkers saved up to 23% on their energy bills by switching. Want to get in on the savings. Enter your ZIP code above to see plans in your area.
We have provided you with some of our competitive rates in your area, which we have determined to be 11235.
|Supplier||Plan||Energy Term Length||Price per kWh|
|12 Month Electricity Plan - NYC||12 month fixed||7.99¢|
|36 Month Electricity Plan - NYC||36 month fixed||7.89¢|
|12 Month Green Electricity Plan - NYC||12 month fixed||8.39¢|
|12 Month Fixed||12 month fixed||7.96¢|
|24 Month Fixed||24 month fixed||8.10¢|
We have 9 more plans available in 11235.Shop Rates
History of energy deregulation in New York
In 1996, the New York State Public Service Commission deregulated the energy market for both electricity and natural gas. Prior to this decision, New York customers’ only energy option was to purchase electricity and natural gas straight from the utility company. By deregulating energy, the New York PSC created a thriving competitive market for energy suppliers and utility companies to offer low rates to customers.
Competition amongst utilities and suppliers promotes innovation in energy technologies, boosts the economy and supports the state’s growth. Energy deregulation also allows customers in New York’s deregulated areas to choose electricity and natural gas suppliers based on rates that fit the customers’ lifestyle.
Ready to try your hand at it? Enter your ZIP code above to see plans in your area.
Who can buy deregulated energy?
In New York state, both homes and businesses can choose to purchase energy plans from electricity and natural gas suppliers. The largest service areas are:
Albany | Buffalo | Mount Vernon | New Rochelle | New York City | Rochester | Syracuse | Yonkers
If a customer chooses not to purchase an unbundled energy plan, the utility in the customer’s area will still provide default service so that the customer is never without electricity or gas. Since natural gas and electricity prices can fluctuate throughout the year, customers who choose energy plans from Energy Service Companies (ESCOs), as opposed to paying the default rate, have the opportunity to benefit from more predictable or fixed rates.
To find plans for your commercial company or small business in New York, click here. Since commercial plans have special standards and requirements that must be met, we will give you a call to go over any plan details and set up your service.
What types of plans are products are offered in New York?
- Fixed rate plans: Many New York energy suppliers offer fixed rate plans for term lengths ranging from 6 months to 2 years. Fixed rate plans ensure that the consumer is paying the same rate every month for the entire term length of the plan’s contract, no matter how the default rate fluctuates.
- Variable-rate plans: Variable-rate plans give the consumer more flexibility in that there is no long-term contract or cancellation fee. However, the consumer’s monthly rate is subject to change from month to month.
- Prepaid plans: The consumer pays in advance for a certain amount of electricity and natural gas, and stays alerted throughout the month regarding usage and account balance. Some New York suppliers do not require a credit check or deposit for these prepaid plans, which makes them more accessible to customers.
- Green/Renewable energy plans: Most New York energy suppliers offer plans that use up to 100% of green or renewable energy. Many of these energy plans have fixed rates, so the consumer’s supplier bill will be consistent monthly regardless of changes in the default rate.
- Home services: Several New York’s energy supply companies do more than just supply electricity or natural gas. Constellation and other energy suppliers offer additional products and services such as smart thermostats, HVAC installation, roof repairs and more.
- Renewable Energy Credits (RECs): Choose Energy customers have the option of purchasing RECs through some of New York’s energy suppliers. The purchase of RECs can further offset a customer’s home (or business) carbon footprint and encourage the use of local renewable energy sources.
Now that you know who plans are structured, you should be ready to compare and switch. Enter your ZIP above to see your choices.
I’ve picked a plan! Now what?
After you’ve chosen a new plan through Choose Energy’s marketplace, the plan will cycle into effect with no interruptions to your power. Billing cycles usually last between 15 to 45 days, so you can expect your new plan to begin at the end of your current billing cycle.
After your new plan starts, you’re good to go! Choose Energy will also send you a reminder once your plan is nearing its end so you can pick a new one or continue at the default rate.
I had no idea I could compare energy prices and get a better rate. I was being overcharged by 50% and didn't know there were alternatives!
Mary, New York, NY
I just saved 25% by switching to ConEdison!!! The best part is that my savings are fixed for the next 12 months...wow! this really is too good to be true. Thank you ConEdison!
Brian H. Pittsford, NY