It offers electricity supply to residents and businesses in California, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington, D.C.
Direct Energy also offers natural gas supply to residents and businesses in California, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington, D.C.
If you live in one of the following utility zones, you can compare electricity rates from Direct Energy: AEP Ohio, AEP Texas Central, AEP Texas North, Ameren, Centerpoint Energy, Commonwealth Edison, Consolidated Edison Co., Consumers Energy, DTE Energy (Michigan Consolidated), Duke Energy, National Grid (WMECo.), Eversource (NSTAR), Oncor Electric Delivery, PECO
Headquartered in Houston, TX with regional offices in Calgary, Chicago, Columbia, Columbus, Dayton, Edmonton, Harrisburg, Indianapolis, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Providence, Syracuse, Toronto, Tucson, Tulsa, and Woodbridge, it’s 6,000 employees help customers in all 50 U.S. states, the District of Columbia and 10 Canadian provinces.
DNV KEMA, a world leader in energy innovation, also ranked Direct Energy the #1 retail energy supplier in North America.
Popular products by Direct Energy
- Fixed-rate plans: With Direct Energy’s Price Protection Plans you can enjoy a fixed rate for up to two full years. That means more predictability on your utility bill.
- Variable-rate plans: have greater flexibility by paying a variable rate from month to month with no long-term contract. You’ll be notified if any significant increases occur.
- Prepaid plans: Pay in advance for your electricity and receive daily messages regarding your account balance and usage. No deposit or credit check required.
- Green or renewable energy plans: These fixed-rate plans offer 100% renewable energy while protecting you from rate hikes.
- Home services: Direct Energy aspires to be a full-service energy company, not only supplying electricity and natural gas but also offering products to help consumers take control over their energy and heating bills. Some of these products include: Smart thermostats, HVAC installation and service, Energy audits, Energy management consulting, Water heater maintenance, Direct Energy Solar
Direct Energy partnerships
Acquired by Centrica, plc in 2000, Direct Energy has steadily grown to approximately 5,500 employees and nearly 6 million customers. Its subsidiaries include Bounce Energy, First Choice Power, CPL Retail Energy, and WTU Retail Energy.
Renewable energy initiatives of Direct Energy
Direct Choice customers can purchase renewable energy credits at a fixed rate to offset 100 percent of their electricity use.
Direct Energy also offers 100 percent Green-e certified renewable energy generated by Texas wind turbines. New Leaf Energy, a Direct Energy company, offers customers the ability to sign up for 6, 12 or 24-month plans that offer fixed-rate price protections or a variable price option that comes with the ability to switch to a fixed-rate plan at any time. Participation in the new product offering costs roughly $25 per month more than the average Texas household’s monthly electricity bill.