At Choose Energy, we work with trusted electricity providers to offer you the best rates and plans. We vet each provider on our marketplace so you can feel confident that you’re purchasing energy from a reputable brand.
Every provider featured on Choose Energy must meet the following criteria:
- Dependable service
- A diverse selection of plans
- Cost-effective rates
- Quality customer service
As one of the top energy providers in Texas, Reliant Energy excels in each of these categories. Keep reading to learn more about the company’s energy services.
Types of rates offered by Reliant Energy
You may come across several types of electricity plans when shopping for a new plan or provider. Here are the most prevalent plan types you’ll encounter with Reliant Energy in Texas.
- Fixed-rate plans: With these plans, you’ll pay a set rate per kilowatt-hour (kWh) of electricity you consume. Your rate won’t change during your contract, so you’ll have more stability and predictability in your energy costs. However, you’ll have to pay a fee to terminate your service before the contract ends unless you move out of the company’s service area.
- Variable-rate plans: In contrast, variable-rate plans do not have a guaranteed rate or a set contract length. Instead, your rate will vary every month depending on wholesale energy prices. On the plus side, you can change plans anytime you wish without incurring an ETF.
To find out which Reliant Energy plans are available in your city, enter your ZIP code on our marketplace.
No-deposit options with Reliant Energy
You may be eligible for a prepaid energy plan if you have a smart meter. These Reliant Energy plans come with no deposit or long-term contract. Instead, you pay in advance for your energy usage. When your balance is low, you’ll receive a reminder to add more funds to your account.
Green energy with Reliant Energy
In Texas, all electricity plans include some energy from renewable sources. You can check your plan’s Electricity Facts Label (EFL) to see how much is in yours. Reliant’s Texas plans include green energy sourced from local solar farms in the Lone Star State. You can even opt into its Make It Solar program, through which the company will offset your energy usage by purchasing the equivalent amount of solar renewable energy certificates (RECs).
Moving or transferring service with Reliant Energy
If you’re moving to another deregulated part of Texas in Reliant Energy’s service area, you can take your existing energy plan with you. Use one of the methods on this page to contact Reliant Energy to learn more about transferring service to a new address. If you’re moving and want to switch to a new provider, you can avoid an early termination fee by providing proof that your new home is outside Reliant’s Texas service areas.
Renting with Reliant Energy
Reliant Energy’s prepaid plans are a great option for renters because they don’t require long-term contracts or security deposits. The company also offers 12-month fixed-rate plans, many of which feature competitive rates for lower usage levels and only require a 12-month contract.
Like most electricity providers, Reliant Energy charges early termination fees when customers cancel service before the end of their contract terms. These range from $150 to $295, depending on your plan. ETFs don’t apply if you have a variable-rate plan or you move to a new address outside of Reliant’s service area.
If you’re unhappy with your Reliant Energy rates or plan features, you can change plans without paying a Reliant cancellation fee. Reliant offers a 90-day satisfaction guarantee. Within the first 90 days of a new plan, you can change to a different Reliant plan at no cost.
Reliant Energy business electricity
Reliant Energy provides affordable and reliable electricity plans for businesses as well as residents. Learn more about your commercial energy options with Choose Energy and request a customized quote for your business.
Other Reliant Energy initiatives
Along with its electricity plans, Reliant Energy offers several other home services:
- Home security packages: Reliant offers smart home security and automation systems.
- AC and heat protection: These plans provide insurance for your home heating and cooling, helping you avoid unexpected costs.
- Surge protection plans: Reliant’s surge protection plans can help you cover the costs of damaged electronics in the event of a power surge.
- Backup power: Reliant power solutions also include portable and whole-home power generators.
Reliant Energy is also committed to giving back to the Texas community. In 2023, Reliant and its parent company, NRG, donated more than $4.8 million to over 200 local organizations, volunteering more than 4,000 hours to give back to the community.