How has deregulation affected McAllen?
Here are the latest statistics from the U.S. Energy Information Administration show:
- Texas residential electricity rates are nearly 11.4 percent lower than the national average.
- Texas commercial electricity rates are nearly 28.33 percent lower than the national average.
- Texas industrial electricity rates are nearly 26 percent lower than the national average.
- Texas generates the most electricity of any state from wind energy.
- Texas generates the fifth-highest amount of electricity from solar energy.
Texas’s energy market was deregulated in 2002, when the state legislature voted to break up the monopoly utilities had previously had for a majority of the state. In the past, residents were given only one option for their energy supply: the utility company. This meant the utility could set prices and plans as they desired.
Now, McAllen residents can shop around for a plan that fits their needs with the provider of their choice. The energy market is a competitive place with a variety of options to choose from and constantly changing prices.
To help consumers through this process, Choose Energy’s marketplace shows current rates from top providers with options from green energy to prepaid plans and more. Resources also include:
- No deposit electricity plans: Avoid putting down a deposit if you have bad credit. Many providers on Choose Energy’s marketplace offer plans that don’t require customers with less than ideal credit to put money down.
- How to move your electric service: Relocating to a new address? Choose Energy can help you navigate the process of avoiding early termination fees, determining electricity usage, and securing rates.
- Switch to a different provider: Switching your McAllen energy provider doesn’t have to be a challenging process. Avoid the hassle by reading our step-by-step guide on how to switch to a different provider.
Enter your ZIP code above to see today’s prices in your area of McAllen.