How has deregulation affected Garland?
Here’s what the latest statistics from the U.S. Energy Information Administration show:
- Texas residential electricity rates are nearly 9.5 percent lower than the national average.
- Texas commercial electricity rates are nearly 26 percent lower than the national average.
- Texas industrial electricity rates are nearly 23 percent lower than the national average.
- Texas generates the most electricity of any state from wind.
- Texas generates the fifth-highest amount of electricity from solar energy.
The Texas legislature passed a bill to deregulate the majority of the state’s energy market in 2002. Where previously a utility company had a monopoly over the energy industry in its area, energy deregulation allows many different providers to compete for business and possibly drive down costs.
Now, signing up for an energy plan is like shopping for anything else. With Choose Energy’s 24/7 marketplace you can enter your ZIP code and compare prices and plans from a variety of trusted energy providers. That way Garland residents can be sure they’re getting the plan that works for them and their home.