How has deregulation affected Mesquite?
Here’s what the latest statistics from the U.S. Energy Information Administration show:
- Texas residential electricity rates are nearly 11.4 percent lower than the national average.
- Texas commercial electricity rates are nearly 28.33 percent lower than the national average.
- Texas industrial electricity rates are nearly 26 percent lower than the national average.
- Texas generates the most electricity of any state from wind.
- Texas generates the fifth-highest amount of electricity from solar energy.
The idea behind energy deregulation is that it creates a competitive marketplace instead of a monopoly. In a regulated energy structure, utility companies control the prices and plans of their entire service area. Customers are unable to choose the company that supplies their energy and are confined to the utility.
Energy deregulation, passed by the state legislature in 2002, changed all that, opening up competition between a variety of energy providers to win customers with better plans and lower rates.
Now, finding an energy plan is like shopping for anything else. With nothing more than your ZIP code, Choose Energy’s online marketplace can show you the current rates available in your area.
We work with trusted providers, so you can be sure you’re signing up for reliable service. Choose Energy offers prepaid plans, fixed and variable rates, green energy options, and more.
Find the best electricity rates in your area today by entering your ZIP code above, or browse through our other resources:
- No deposit electricity plans: Do you have a low credit score? Choose Energy’s online marketplace offers a variety of no deposit electricity plans, including prepaid energy options.
- How to move your electric service: If you are moving into a new home, Choose Energy can help you easily cross off finding an energy plan. We can also help you estimate how much energy your new home will consume and avoid early termination fees.
- Switch to a different provider: If you’re not happy with your provider, there’s no need to stay with them. Choose Energy makes it easy for you to browse and compare rates in order to find an electricity provider that best works for you.