Did you know that June 15 is Global Wind Day? Today, people across the world are celebrating wind power and its potential to reshape our energy systems, reduce emissions and boost jobs and economic growth.
11 Fun Facts About Wind Power:
1) Today, wind energy is one of the fastest growing sectors in the world. But people have been using wind power for centuries–think windmills to pump water.
2) Wind turbines range in size from 80 feet to over 320 feet tall, which is taller than the Statue of Liberty.
3) 39 U.S. states and Puerto Rico are home to a wind farm, a wind factory, or both.
4) Texas produces the most wind power of all U.S. states. Wind turbines provide 10% of Texas’s energy each year.
5) The amount of worldwide wind capacity increased 16 times between 2000 and 2012.
6) There are 46,000 wind turbines, part of 890 wind farms, in operation today in the U.S.
7) If you consider a single “wind farm” to be a “power plant,” there are now more operating wind power plants in the U.S. than coal, oil, or nuclear power plants.
8) The U.S. gets 4.1% of its electricity from wind overall.
9) Over 43% of electric utilities in the U.S. have wind energy as part of their generation mix.
10) The wind industry now has 550 manufacturing facilities in 44 states.
11) More than 50,000 people in the U.S. are employed by the wind industry!
Short of building a wind turbine in your backyard, how can you support wind energy? Many energy suppliers offer plans that allow you to buy your electricity from renewable energy sources like wind, solar and hydropower. Check out the green energy plans available in your area.
Happy Global Wind Day!